Grilled Spaghetti + Red Gold Tomatoes and a Bonus
I think by now y’all have a pretty good idea of how much I love tomatoes. I grow them, I eat them raw, I cook them up, and I freeze and can the heck out of them. You could say I’m obsessed, and I would have no argument.
So when the folks at Red Gold asked if I would help promote their Summer Grillin’ Party Sweepstakes, it was a no-brainer. While I do preserve my beautiful heirloom tomatoes, it’s only in sauce and paste form. When my big, meaty, beefsteak slicers fade away for the year, I turn to Red Gold for their fabulous diced tomatoes. They’re a pantry staple at Casa Leaf + Grain.
I have two recipes for you today, actually: one I wrote to coincide with the Sweepstakes, and a bonus recipe, courtesy of Red Gold. Summer’s winding down, but it’s still prime grilling season. And wait until you see what Red Gold is giving away as part of their sweepstakes – every griller’s dream!
A super-simple, one-pan recipe, my dish today, Grilled Spaghetti with Red Gold Tomatoes, cooks up quick for a hearty, no-mess dinner.
Grilled spaghetti, you ask? Oh, yes! Toasting dry angel hair pasta over a smoky grill adds incredible depth and earthiness to ordinary pasta. Add mushrooms, sausage (pork or, for me, veggie), onions, bell peppers, and Red Gold Petite Diced Tomatoes with Chipotle (my favorite, for spice!) and your late summer dinner on the patio is ready in under 20 minutes.
With Labor Day weekend right around the corner, burger lovers everywhere are planning their end-of-summer grilling masterpieces. And so I’m delighted to share with you an amazing burger topping, courtesy of Red Gold (recipe below).
But first, do check out Red Gold’s Summer Grillin’ Party Sweepstakes on Facebook, where the grand prize is a Big Green Egg – the ceramic cooker/smoker envied by grillers everywhere.
Enter today – Red Gold’s Sweepstakes on Facebook ends August 30th!
And don’t forget to check out these grill-worthy edibles:
Grilled Spaghetti + Red Gold Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 ounces angel hair pasta, broken into 3″ lengths
- 2 links of chorizo sausage (pork or veggie substitute), sliced into half moons
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 small sweet red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika (pimenton)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Red Gold Petite Diced Tomatoes with Chipotle
- Parmesan cheese grated, for topping
- Prepare your grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium-high.
- Place a large fire-proof skillet on the grate (a paella or cast iron pan works well here) and add 1 tablespoon oil. Let the oil heat until shimmering.
- Add the sausage and mushrooms to the pan and spread out into an even layer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is browned and the mushrooms have begun giving off their liquids. Add the onions and peppers and cook 3 to 4 additional minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Scoot the sausage mixture to one side of the pan, and add the angel hair pasta to the empty side. Stirring frequently, gently toast the pasta for a few minutes, until lightly golden.
- Clear a 2″ space in one area of the pan, and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil there. Sprinkle the paprika and salt over the oil, and stir the spices and oil until a paste forms (this should just take about 15 seconds).
- Add the 2 cups of stock to the pan, and gently stir everything together, taking care to not flip the pasta out of the pan.
- Mix in the tomatoes, and cook for five minutes, or until the pasta is al dente. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve family-style, with cheese on the side for topping.
Red Gold Burger
courtesy of Red Gold
- 2 Red Gold® Petite Diced Tomatoes, drained very well
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 grilled burgers
- 4 hamburger buns
- Combine RED GOLD® DICED TOMATOES, green onions, garlic and jalapeno pepper in a large bowl. Combine vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, cumin, salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Stir until blended.
- Pour vinegar mixture over tomato mixture; tossing to coat. Chill one hour before serving.
- Toast both halves of one bun. Place a grilled burger on bottom toasted bun. Spoon 1/4 cup tomato mixture in center of burger, put toasted bun half on top. Repeat with the remaining three buns and burgers.